Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Slice of Life #1

WRITE your slice. SHARE your link. GIVE some comments to (at least three) other slicers. If you're leaving your comment early in the day, please consider returning this evening or tomorrow to read some of our evening posters' slices.
Ruth and Stacey host Slice of Life on their blog, Two Writing Teachers, every Tuesday.  Head on over for some fantastic posts!

Confession:  I am a lurker.  I have spent months (years?) lurking around Slice of Life posts.  I am the kid in my classroom who never has anything to write about.  I love to read.  I love people who write.  But, writing is so hard for me.  This summer, Christopher Lehman visited my school district.  He told us, "the single most important thing we can do to help our kids write is to be a writer ourselves."

**cringe**

In an attempt to live the life of a writer, I started this blog.  I decided to write about books because that is where I am comfortable.  I LOVE to read books.  I know things about books.  I like to motivate others to read books.  I think I have done a good job, and I now have some "writer's life" type things to share with my students.

BUT today is different.  As I went about my business after school, a SLICE OF LIFE post came to me!  So here it is...my first Slice of Life.

Running.
Running is my nemesis.
I used to be good at it, really good at it.
I spent years of my life running...
around the bases on the softball field,
up and down the soccer field,
from Start to Finish around the track.
I used to be good at it, really, really good at it.

But now, not so much.
Recently, Joey and I have taken up running again.
We should do it.
We need to do it.
We are slowly getting back in the groove, together.

But today, he's not home.
In the car, I think
I'll get home and do a quick run.
But then the traffic hits.
And I start yawning.
Oh, and I forgot I have to return an overdue library book.
(The Day the Crayons Quit).

I get home.
There is no one to push me.
I could just sit down.
I might just sit down.
But I don't.
I lace up my shoes.  I'll do a quick one.
I head out.
And
start
running.

And it's hot.  So hot.
I think my car said 90 degrees.
I'll make it quick.
My legs move faster.  I feel better.
Maybe I'll go farther I think.

I pass the spot where we turned yesterday.
I go up one more street.
I could turn around.
I want to turn around.
But instead, I run up the hill.
When I get to the top, it will all be downhill from here.
Halfway up, I might die.  I think I am dying.
When I get to the top, it will all be downhill from here.
I am barely moving.  I'll stop at the top.
When I get to the top, it will all be downhill from here.
I
finally
make
it.
It's all downhill from here.

And I don't stop.
I run down the hill...
turn right at the light...
down some more...
cross the bridge...
and I've done it.

I smile the rest of the way home.







7 comments:

  1. First welcome to the SOL where you will find the rest of us are just like you. Wanna be writers and wanna be runners (or exercisers ) who find inspiration in the words of others. PS I LOVE the poem even though my knees prefer walking or biking to running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running is great and so is writing. Glad you aren't running away from writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your first post and it was lots of fun to run with you! I used to be a runner too. I need motivation and better knees. It will be fun to read your post every week. If you get in a writing routine...just like running it really, really helps. I agree with Chris, writing has improved my work with the kiddos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! This is a wonderful first post. I don't run (not sure I even like it), but I enjoyed "running with you!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo for you! Welcome to the slicing community -- you will love it! Your poem was delightful, and I think I need to borrow the voice in your head to make myself exercise! I especially loved the paired almost-repeating lines, like "I could just sit down / I want to sit down". They capture the experience of battling with yourself perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you pushed yourself to run and write today! Both uplifting experiences that will leave you breathless! :) Welcome to the SOL community! So glad you are joining in the writing fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Christina! Sometimes we do have to "just do it!" I find it much harder to motivate myself to exercise than I do to write. Congratulations on doing both!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete