Saturday, July 6, 2013

Timmy Failure

Are you a fan of Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Dork Diaries?  If so, Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made, written by Stephan Pastis, is just the book for you.  I wish I had read this book during the school year because I can think of about 6 kids to hand it to right now!

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made

Has someone TP'd your house?  Has your hamster died?  Did someone steal your Halloween candy?  If so, Timmy can help solve your problem.  Timmy Failure is a detective.  But not just any detective.  He and his trusty sidekick, Total the Polar Bear, run a detective agency...Total Failure, Inc.  One of the best parts of this book is the language and voice that the author gives to Timmy.  For example, one of the funniest passages happens right at the beginning of the book:

So I wake up my partner and hop on the Failuremobile.  I should say a word about the Failuremobile.  It's not actually called a Failuremobile.  It's called a Segway.  And it belongs to my mother.  She won it in a raffle.  And now she has set forth some restrictions on when and how I can use it.

Never.  Ever.  Ever.

I thought that was vague.  So I use it.  So far, she hasn't objected.  Mostly because she doesn't know.

Throughout the book, Timmy has some friendship issues.  Especially with Corinna Corinna, otherwise known as the Evil One.  She has her own detective agency.  Also, as you can imagine, Timmy manages to lose his mother's Segway and has to come up with a plan to find it.

I laughed out loud throughout this book.  There will be a sequel coming out sometime in 2014.  I will definitely be adding both of these to my classroom library.

I'd love to hear what you are reading this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment