Thursday, June 27, 2013

Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People

Today, I've got a non-fiction book review for you.  First of all, and trust me on this, reading a book about rats would not be my first choice.  Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People, written by Albert Marrin, was recommended at the workshop I attended last week.  I checked it out from the library before I went since it was on the book list.  I was sitting next to Mrs. Addington and she said, "Oh, did you read the rat book yet?  It is SO GOOD!"  I was kind of amazed.  So I read it that night.  And she was right.  It is SUCH a great book.  I learned more than I ever imagined about rats!  They are extremely interesting creatures!

Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People: The Story of Rats and People

For example, did you know that they can survive being flushed down the toilet?  And they can also make their way back up the pipe and out of the toilet...this makes me slightly nervous.  They also can collapse their skeleton so that they can fit through the tiniest of holes...holes the size of a quarter!  There are lots of fun facts in this book and some slightly creepy illustrations.  I highly recommend it...even if you hate rats!

Remember that non-fiction is a great genre for summer reading.  Choose a topic you love and head over to the library.  I'm sure the librarian will have lots of ideas to keep you busy.

Has anyone read non-fiction this summer?  What else are you reading?  Be sure to leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Chris Lehman was talking about this book at All Write, as well. I'm actually excited to read it...never thought I would say that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was our writing workshop leader last week...that's where I got it as well :)

      Delete